Here's what we've learned:
- It's really hard to draw in the air. They make it look easy on promo video; it's not.
- Like any art medium, there's a learning curve. The more we practiced with them, the better we became at controlling the plastic.
- We had the best luck "building" by creating flat pieces and the assembling them (see video below)
- The type of plastic matter. Some projects are great in ABS while others (like the butterfly below) worked much better in PLA. The 3Doodler 2.0 came with both.
- Dealing with mechanical issues...either jammed plastic and plastic not feeding correctly was incredibly time-consuming. Patience and persistence is required. Although there's no reason that young artists can't USE the pens to create, an adult would need to be present to keep things "flowing."
- Youtube is your best friend for troubleshooting